Lewisham Council has submitted a bid for £100,000 funding to improve Forest Hill, Kirkdale and Sydenham High Streets by building a Town Team to market the centre and fight our corner for improvements. Our pilot has five key objectives.
- to test a coherent approach to High Street development in an area of urban sprawl where one neighbourhood merges into another.
- to increase the sustainability of the High Street through layering uses (multiple uses in one unit).
- to build on the existing blending of retail and community use to enhance the High Street as a Hub Street and destination.
- to create a fit and agile High Street that can successfully adapt to changing needs.
- to harness and build on our strong, active citizenship to enhance the High Street
One aim of the Portas Pilots is to increase community involvement in the Town Centre, turning it into a hub where people want to come and spend time. You can show your support by liking the video on YouTube. (Click this link)
The first round of 12 Portas Pilots will be announced in May, with bidding for a second round due by 30 June.